Hi! I’m Alexa.
I’m a graduate of the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill with a degree in Journalism / Public Relations and a certificate in Sports Communication. I lived in the Tar Heel state for almost 15 years and grew very attached to the small-town-meets-large-university vibes.
I’ve also embraced every opportunity to step outside of my Chapel Hill bubble to see the world and experience other ways of life. I’ve been passionate about travel ever since I can remember, and once I started earning a paycheck in college through paid internships and jobs, I decided to save a portion of my paychecks each month to put toward trips. In 2015, I visited Europe three times and in 2016, I journeyed to South America twice. As for 2017, I explored the Bahamas, Mexico and gallivanted across Europe for two months.
Most recently, I moved 3,000 miles away from beloved North Carolina to pursue my dream career in the majestic forest fairytale of a city: Portland, Oregon. I’m working as a communications specialist at the Nike World Headquarters. Outside of my 40 hours in Swooshland, I’m exploring every inch of the city, trekking through the glorious Oregon hiking trails, chasing waterfalls, trying every Happy Hour and craft beer (there are so many!), and spending time with my wonderful beau, Niko.
Another huge part of my life is running. I’ve been a competitive runner since I was 12. Running is my rock. The sport has molded me into the woman I am today and impacted me in ways I never imagined. I was part of a powerhouse seven-time state championship cross country and track team in high school, and continued racing in college on the UNC Club Cross Country and Track team. I’ve also completed six half marathons, three of which took place in San Francisco, where I learned to eat hills for breakfast.
I’m also a dedicated writer who firmly believes that journalism is not a dying industry; society has just changed its journalistic consumption habits. After four years of practicing and perfecting the art of research papers, press releases and news articles in college, I decided to get my creative juices flowing by starting a blog. I’ve rolled two of my biggest passions – travel and fitness – into one. I hope you enjoy 🙂
- I was a picky eater for 19 years. I lived off bread, cheese, fruit and processed turkey. Now I eat jusssst about anything unless it has a head on it.
- I’ve consumed less than ten cups of coffee in my life. I have a lot of natural energy. I also prefer tea.
- I’ve been to the last three Olympic Games. I’ll let you guess whether I went as a participant or an attendee.
- I full-on peed myself during my first cross country state championship race in high school. Hydration is a key aspect of running, but so is taking a bathroom break right before a run.
- I’m very passionate about the empowerment of women. The future is female.